Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Ode to Leopard Print

It seems appropriate to launch my new blog with a declaration of my love of animal prints.


This photo is from a time, earlier this year, when I started packing for a trip and soon took stock of my choices.

The thing I love the most about animal print is that it has a vexed reputation - animal print is often characterized as tacky and is also, somehow, seen as sexualized. The same dress that is mild and unobtrusive in baby blue takes on a different persona in any bold pattern, leopard print especially. I like to challenge this perception, and love incorporating animal print into "business casual" outfits.

One of my big fashion sticking points is how "professional" is conceived.

I'm fascinated by how patterns transform our perceptions of and reactions to garments.

I love animal print - I've always been drawn to it. The real fun when you own many different animal print pieces is realizing you need to find some non-patterned clothing to offset it - I will match leopards, to a point.

I also lover tiger and zebra prints. I don't discriminate.


Obviously, my love of animal print extends to adorable extremes. Peek-a-boo tiger socks!



2 comments:

  1. I really want a leopard print coat this winter! I think they look sassy & retro. :)

    and zomg, you look amazing in that tiger-print dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! I love your blog (and style choices, obvs) and your blog was one of the inspirations for me to put my own fashion devotion into the blogiverse :)

    ReplyDelete